Every summer girls arrive at Girl Scouts San Diego summer camps excited for new adventures, fun, and making lifelong memories. Campers can experience two unique camps in the beautiful Cuyamaca Mountains near Julian, CA (60 miles east of San Diego).
- Camp Winacka - A traditional rustic camp with spectacular views. The camp features a pool, miles of hiking trails, green building including a new environmental center and two lakes. Campers choose from programs focusing on aquatics, horses, arts and adventure. Campers and staff sleep in open-air cabins with built-in bunk beds, in platform tents with bunk beds or on cots under the stars.
- Camp Whispering Oaks - Features a sports field and basketball court tucked amongst oak and pine trees, unique stargazing venues, abundant wildlife and a small, close-knit camp community. Campers choose from programs focusing on science and space, outdoor skills, sports, theater and the arts. Campers and staff sleep in fully enclosed indoor cabins with electricity and paved, lighted pathways winding through native manzanita, oak and pine.
The Program Director supervises, coordinates and evaluates camp staff as they plan, lead and implement onsite and offsite camp programs and activities for girls 5-17 years of age. Ensuring a safe, creative, educational and fun experience for all campers and staff, is a primary responsibility for this role.
- Providing general supervision of camp staff in their daily and weekly work, ensuring staff coordinate age appropriate programs and activities.
- Coordinating, planning and facilitating camp-wide events for campers and staff to include, but not limited to, special days, meals, ceremonies, all-camp events and campfires.
- Collaborating with camp staff to ensure use of facilities, equipment and supplies meet program goals and comply with all safety and camp policies and procedures. .
- Assisting with oversight of camp operations, including dining hall operations, to ensure procedures are followed and fosters an environment of consistent order to campers and staff; oversight of community chores (kapers) to ensure all units are participating fairly
- Completing, submitting and collecting paperwork, reports and evaluations in a timely manner.
- Attending and facilitating meetings, training sessions, etc.
- Observing and enforcing all health and safety precautions, ensuring compliance with all council and camp safety policies and procedures