Under direct supervision, provide support to the comprehensive health and safety system of both camps. Assist Healthcare Supervisors in administrative and healthcare related tasks.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains accurate and detailed medical records according to GSUSA, Safety Activity Checkpoints and American Camp Association standards.
- Organize, maintain and utilize resources for serving the health and medical needs of campers and staff; including setting up and maintaining the health center and keeping an adequate inventory of medical supplies and equipment.
- Oversees preparation of adequate first aid kits for emergency use to all counselors in all areas of camp.
- Ensures that a health care staff is available to staff and campers 24 hours a day in person or by walkie-talkie by coordinating breaks with Health Care Supervisors.
- Ensures camper and staff health histories and health exams are current and on file.
- Informs Camp Director, Program Directors, Specialists and Kitchen Manager of any allergies, limitations or other pertinent camper or staff health information in a timely manner in which to make adaptations to menu, program, etc.
- Reports all pertinent admissions to the health center to the Healthcare Supervisor. Decides in consultation with Healthcare Supervisor if a camper or staff member needs to go to the doctor, needs to be sent home or needs additional parent communication.
- Assists with staff orientation on medical services and procedures, clarifying all staff members’ role and responsibilities related to health care and first aid.
- Assists in physical check of campers on their arrival in camp and reviews all health records, discussing particular items with the counselors concerned; calls parents/guardians if explanation is necessary.
- Assists as a responder in case of serious illness or injury.
- Completes and file necessary reports such as daily treatment log, accident reports, health department records and other required reports.
- Processes health forms in alpha order and into treated and untreated files and returns to council at end of summer.
- Maintains clear and positive written and verbal communication with all internal and external clients.
- Contributes to the diversity emphasis of the council by ensuring that all materials, activities, and programs are sensitive to and reflective of the interest, values and needs of persons of all racial/ethnic groups, cultures, religions and abilities.
- Adheres to all council policies and procedures.
- Observes all safety precautions and complies with all council health and safety rules and procedures.
- Submits end of summer report and inventory; closes health center.
- Attends pre-camp and in-service training during the summer.